Nassau Community College, located in Garden City, opened in 1960 as part of the State University of New York (SUNY). Nassau, the largest single-campus community college in the state, is the first choice for one of every five college-bound high school graduates in Nassau County.
- Hundreds of day, evening, weekend and online/off campus (distance ed) courses in nearly 80 fields of study
- Three types of degrees (AA, AS and AAS) and other special certificate programs
- More than 300 noncredit, lifelong-learning (continuing education) courses
- Located in the heart of Long Island
- Spans 225 acres, the largest single-campus community college in New York State
- Easily accessible from the Meadowbrook Parkway, Stewart Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike
- Nearly 20,000 day and evening students and approximately 10,000 continuing and professional students attend each year
- Come from nearly 60 different countries
- Include more than a quarter over age 27
- Hold doctorates at twice the national rate for community colleges
- More have received the SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching than any other community college in the state
- Fulbright scholars, researchers, authors, artists, and consultants, committed to community service
- Equipped with cutting-edge technology
- Fifty buildings, including affordable, on-campus child care center and a new Life Sciences building that opened in 2012
- More than 20 men’s and women’s teams
- Dominant force in the National Junior College Athletic Association
- Some of the finest indoor and outdoor athletic facilities in the Long Island region
- Number more than 140,000
- Achieve successful careers as doctors, teachers, attorneys, and business and political leaders
Created in 1959 as part of the State University of New York (SUNY), Nassau first held classes in a wing of the old Nassau County Courthouse in Mineola, New York. When we opened in 1960, just 632 students took advantage of our affordable, high-quality academic programs. In 1962, we expanded to 135 acres at the former Mitchel Air Force Base and enrollment soared.
Today, our campus spans 225 acres and includes 50 buildings. Close to 20,00 day and evening students and 10,000 continuing and professional students attend each year. We are the top choice for one out of every four college-bound high school graduates in Nassau County.
About one million people have attended Nassau throughout our history. Our 140,000 graduates include doctors, attorneys, teachers, and business and political leaders.